Gettings started with Butchering a Duck
The best butcher Brisbane makes sure to follow the steps correctly with butchering a duck. The way to butcher the duck is kind of similar to a turkey. For more details read the given article in detail.
How can you butcher a duck?
- Sharp paring knives
- Scalding pot and a means for heating it (I use an electric burner, but a propane burner works well too)
- A table is very helpful
- The container of bleach water for sanitizing
- Hatchet or ax
- Ice or refrigerator for chilling carcass
- Container for offal
- Pot or large bowl for carcass
Killing the Duck
Different ways are there to dispatch the bird. Some people prefer to make a small incision on the side of the neck, main artery it cut, and then the duck will die. For a fast and efficient method, you can use the ax or hatchet. Some people do not have an issue with the blood being in the carcass and this method is a perfect option for you.
How to clean the carcass?
Once the bird is dead, it is not that difficult to butcher a duck. You need to work quickly and the table and tools need to be clean quickly so that there is no buildup of bacteria on the meat.
When the bird has bled out and stops flapping give it a good hosing down. You need to wash the feet and the abdomen needs to be pressed while the hose is being used to force the fences in the vent out and then it will be washed.
Plucking vs Skinning a Duck
- At this point, you will either scald and pluck the bird or skin it. The best age to butcher a duck is around 7 to 8 weeks old. If you want to pluck them, then keep the carcass in the hot water for 1 minute.
- If you want to skin the ducks then there is no fat and skin on the carcass to keep the meat juicy when it is being cooked. Moreover, this wat duck can be saved for rendering. This way you are going to spend less time on the processing.
How to Butcher a Duck – Tips
- Make sure your knife is sharp when you want to get started. A dull knife will make the task difficult. Make you take a moment between each bird to make your knife sharp again.
- If the weather’s warm, then keep a cooler full of ice to put the dressed bird so that they can chill quickly.
- In the fall, you need to pick a cool day to process the birds. This will make your meal easy.
- It is best to have at least one or 2 helpers along with you. To make the job easier, then set up an assembly line to process several birds