Difference between IVF & IUI, When you consider fertility treatment, you will understand that there are multiple options to choose from depending on your situation. Initially, when you consult the gynecologist in Punjab, she will determine your fertility and make you aware of your conception chances naturally. When you visit the IVF centre in Punjab, you will be enlightened with the various fertility treatment options like IVF and IUI.
What is IUI?
IUI stands for Intrauterine Insemination. Here is the breakdown of how the procedure is performed:
- The doctor places sperm in the uterine cavity that was collected and processed in the lab. Before insertion, the sperm is washed by removing seminal fluid, and sperm are concentrated.
- IUI procedure is done to boost ovulation or carried out when the woman is ovulating. An over-the-counter ovulation predictor kit is used to determine when the woman is ovulating.
- The sperm is placed higher into the uterine cavity so that it can reach the fallopian tube easily.
What is IVF?
IVF stands for In-Vitro-Fertilization. Here is the breakdown of how the procedure is performed:
- During IVF, the egg and sperm are fertilized together in a controlled environment.
- The fertilization happens when the woman is given fertility medications and this allows to increase the egg count which is needed for egg retrieval.
- Following fertilization, the embryo is monitored carefully which helps in transferring the uterus which is in a healthy state.
What are the major differences between IUI and IVF?
|Fertilization||Fertilization takes place internally||Fertilization takes place externally.|
|Process||During IUI, the sperm is injected into the uterus directly and after that, there is a need to wait for the fertilization to happen successfully.||During IVF, the egg and sperm are kept in a controlled environment. This results in embryo formation and then it is implanted back to the women’s reproductive tract.|
|Success rate||IUI success rate is less as compared to IVF. Mostly, it works best for couples with less severe cases of infertility.||IVF success rate is higher as compared to IUI. In many cases, the couple can be suggested to undergo IVF on the first go.|
|Treatment cycle||A maximum of 3 rounds of IUI can be done before going for IVF.||In some cases, one cycle can prove helpful and sometimes more are needed.|
|Best for||The fertility expert can suggest you undergo IUI for:
● Ovulation issue
● Cervical mucus problems
● Mild or Stage I-II Endometriosis
● Mostly normal sperm evaluation
● Same-sex couple
|The fertility expert can suggest you undergo IVF for:
● Uterus problem
● Tubal issues
● Age factors
● Low sperm count and/or motility
● Unexplained infertility