If you have diabetes and you have undergone spine surgery in Ludhiana then you need to make special accommodations to ensure successful results and recovery.
Why is there an increased risk between spine surgery and diabetes?
- Back or neck surgery can lead to mental & physical stress which leads to hormonal changes in the body. These changes lead to increased insulin resistance, a condition in which the body produces insulin. This is the hormone that controls the sugar level in the blood.
- Hormonal changes in the body can lead to the production of less insulin and there is an increased risk of hyperglycemia or high blood sugar. Whether the blood sugar level is high or low there is increased risk and complications can increase following the surgery.
- If the person has diabetes then complications are also higher or it might be difficult to control the sugar level.
This is the reason when you plan to undergo the surgery the care team will develop a strategy to control the blood sugar before the spine surgery.
What medications are considered for Diabetic people?
You need to talk with your healthcare provider regarding the steps which you need to take before the spine surgery. In some cases, there is a need to change the medications.
It is helpful that you consult the experienced spine surgeon to understand what works well for your condition. Getting the individualized treatment plan during and after surgery is going to make sure the recovery is faster and there is no complication.
- If you take medications for type 2 diabetes then ask your doctor regarding what adjustments you need to make in your regular dosage.
- Talk to your healthcare provider if you take medications for type 1 diabetes and what dose is right for you before and on the day of surgery.
What are the lifestyle changes you need to consider?
- You need to consider a nutritious meal that includes plenty of protein to heal your body and your tissues will be much stronger. Make sure that you never skip the meal.
- You need to exercise regularly but make sure what exercise regime you need to follow. Exercise is going to make your body strong and this can help you recover faster.
- You should control the stress factor as it is important to keep yourself relaxed before the surgery. It is best that you opt for relaxation techniques like deep breathing and listening to music can help you.
- Before the surgery, you need to quit smoking and reduce alcohol consumption. This is going to help you control blood sugar levels. By doing the recovery will be smooth and your body will heal on time.