Infertility has become a common issue among couples nowadays. There can be various reasons behind this. Generally, women face infertility after a year if they are under 35 and after 6 months of turning 35. This is because of progressive age and reduction in the ovarian reserve which leads to declining in quantity and quality of eggs. Even, male fertility diminishes with the advancement of age. That is why assisted reproductive methods such as IVF treatment in India have become quite common.
Finding the right time to visit the Gynaecologist
The time to visit the doctor may vary from woman to woman depending on
- When a woman is under 35 and healthy: it takes approximately one year for a healthy couple to conceive. The best time to plan or have a child or planning a second child is between 20 to 30 years of age. Still, if a woman is 35 and all her fertility symptoms appear normal to her, the couple should wait for a period of 1 year to visit the doctor. During this 1 year of wait, they themselves get to know whether fertility is taking place or not.
- When a woman is over 35: the women over 35 have a slight decrease in their pregnancy chances. They might face some problems in their pregnancy. Even after that, they have a grace period of 6 months to try for the child. If during this time she gets blessed then she need not visit the doctor. But, if in case, fertility does not occur, there is a need to visit the doctor.
- When a woman is 40: the couple should see the doctor immediately as soon as the woman turns 40 and they plan to have a child. This is because at this age, the quality and quantity of eggs decline and the chances of miscarriage rise in the woman also. About 50% of the women aged 40 have embryos that contain an inadequate ratio of chromosomes.
- The BMI is high or low: the BMI refers to body mass index. The age of a woman at any reproductive age of her life may be too high or too low that makes her unfit to carry a baby in her womb. It is advisable for a woman to visit the doctor immediately even before planning a baby if she discovers too high or too low BMI.
- The woman is having thyroid: there are two types of the thyroid – hyperthyroidism, and hypothyroidism. Both the conditions are not right for her if she plans to have a baby. It is important to have the thyroid under control before planning to conceive. Thus, a woman suffering from thyroid and planning a baby should visit the doctor before planning the child.
- Woman with reproductive issues: if a woman is suffering from any medical issue such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or endometriosis, she may find difficulty in conceiving. Thus, if she is aware of any medical or reproductive issues, it is important to visit the doctor before planning the child.
Overall, there can be many conditions that a woman is undergoing and accordingly her time to visit the doctor can be decided.