CT Scan & MRI scan in Ludhiana, Punjab
CT Scan & MRI scan in Ludhiana: If you are facing any spine-related issue then consult the best spine Surgeon or visit Kalyan Diagnostics Ludhiana. In some cases, the problem is in excess and the patient needs to undergo spine surgery in Ludhiana at Kalyan Hospital Punjab.
What is a Lumbar MRI Scan along with its purpose and how to prepare for it?
What is a lumbar MRI scan?
An MRI scan uses magnets and radio waves to get the body image from inside without any surgical incision. The scan allows the doctor to see the tissue present in the body like organs and muscles along with bones. The MRI can be performed on any body part.
A lumbar MRI specifically examines the lumbar section of the spine, this is where the back problem aggravates. It is made of 5 lumbar vertebral bones. The lumbosacral spine consists of nerves, large blood vessels, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage.
What is the need for a lumbar MRI scan?
The doctor may recommend an MRI to diagnose and treat the problem with the spine related. It can be infection, disease, or any other thing that can lead to problems. The doctor might suggest you get it done it you have these issues:
- Back pain accompanied by fever
- Multiple sclerosis
- Persistent or severe lower back pain
- Problems with your bladder
- Birth defects affecting your spine
- Injury to your lower spine
- Signs of the brain or spinal cancer
- Numbness, Weakness, or other problems with the legs
If you have to get spinal surgery, then also you need to get it done. The lumbar MRI is going to help to plan the treatment before the incision is made. The MRI scan is going to provide different images as compared to another testing like ultrasound, CT scans, or X-rays. The MRI performed for the lumbar will help to show the spinal cord, discs, bones, and the spaces between the vertebral bones where the nerves pass through.
How to prepare for a lumbar MRI?
- Before the test, make sure to inform the doctor if you have a pacemaker. In such cases, the doctor can suggest other treatments to inspect the lumbar spine like a CT scan which depends on the type of pacemaker you have. Some of the pacemaker models can be reprogrammed before MRI is performed so that the scan is proper.
- Before the test, you need to remove the jewelry and piercings you are wearing. The MRI scan uses magnets that can attract some of the metal. If you have any metal implant then inform the doctor beforehand. You need to tell the doctor about the following items:
- Artificial heart valves
- Limbs or Prosthetic joints
- In case you are allergic to dyes then tell the doctor.
- Some patients are claustrophobic so it is best to tell the doctor. In such cases, the doctor can prescribe you anti-anxiety medications. It might be possible you are given sedation during the scan. After the test, you should not drive and ask someone to take you home.