Almost every household faces the problem of blocked drains once or twice a year. It is because most of us are not aware of the reasons for blockage and signs that can indicate the blockage in the drains.
Reasons for blocked drain:
There are many things that can block your drains and create chaos in your kitchen and bathroom. Some of the major reasons for blocked drains are:
- Grease and oil
- Tissue papers
- Broken pipes
- Tree roots
- Small objects
- Mould, mildew and grass
- Dirt and dust
- Mineral build-up
Signs of Blocked drains
When your drains are blocked or damaged they will give you some signs.If you can identify them at an early stage you can save yourself from many problems:
- Water drains slowly: Slow flowing water is one of the most common signs of clogged or damaged drains. If you see such an issue, you should try to clear the drain by yourself first. If it is a minor blocking, it will go away with some DIY tricks. If it doesn’t unclog with home DIY methods, don’t hesitate to call the plumber as they can soon become a bigger problem.
- Bad odour: Foul smell is the second most common sign that you may experience if the drains are blocked.The bad odour spreads from drains due to any dead animal, food or other stuff being rotten in the pipes and it is also due to stagnant water. It is not just the smell that will trouble you; the environment in such places will contain bacteria from these blocked drains, which can make you fall sick.
- Gurgling sounds: One of the later stages is the gurgling sounds that come from drains. These sounds start when the clogging has turned worse. Mostly you will hear them in kitchen sinks or toilets. You should not try to unclog such drains as they need a professional hand.
- Backflow: If you notice backflow, it means that the water in the drains doesn’t have clear passage. Sometimes these problems occur in a different place than where the cause actually lies. Such as, sometimes you flush the toilet, and this causes water to flow into the shower. It indicates the negative air pressure that is being developed by the blocked toilet drain. Such an issue should only be addressed by a professional plumber.
- Dampness on walls and flooring: If you see moisture or dampness in your bathroom tiles, flooring, any other wall or ceiling that has water pipe, it means that drains are blocked.
- Water level rise in the toilet: If the water level has risen in your toilet and it isn’t going down, it is a clear indication of blocked drains. An empty bowl is also an indication of clogged drains.
Dangers of blocked drains
Blocked drains not only create water mess in the house, but they also come with many other dangers as well.
- Clogged drains can affect the water quality as they may enter the clean water system and contaminate it.
- They can produce many bacterial and viral infections that can pose a danger to the health of all the family members.
- They can cause damages to your house structure, walls and even the foundation. The construction of your house can become weak.
- A musty odour, damp and chipping walls that occur due to blocked drains can also ruin the aesthetic appeal of your house.
- If overlooked for a long period, these drains will cause you to spend tons of money over their repairs.
Hope this information on blocked drains will help you take timely decision.